Do I know how to start a YouTube channel?
But I do know how to grow multi-million-dollar businesses, and I’m going to take the risk and say that experience can help me take YouTube by storm and grow a successful channel.
So, that’s what I’m doing.
I want you to join me on my journey so you can see these tactics and strategies in action and use them to grow your business, too!
Shall we get started?
Hit play on the video below on read on for more…
Starting in the right way means starting strategically
I’m starting my YouTube channel in the way I start my businesses.
So, that means it’s not an emotional decision and it’s not because of FOMO and it’s not because I think it’d be cool to be on YouTube. That’s not how great businesses start which means it’s not how your business is going to start.
We need to think about business strategically – so that means thinking about purpose, vision, and avatars.
Those are some of the foundations of successful businesses, so let’s look at how you can lay them like a professional.
3 essential questions to answer before you start a business
Every great business strategy is based on a few key elements. If we want to start a business that succeeds, we need to answer these three questions:
Let’s take a closer look at them…
Understanding your why
Whatever your why is, you need to pick it, choose it, stick to it, and know in your heart of hearts that that is the reason you are starting your business.
Once you know your why, you need to keep focused on it. Don’t let anything else get in your way.
You might see people doing something you think is interesting or that you wish you were doing, you might worry about missing out or being left behind, you might think any number of things but it is essential that you stay true to your why.
You need to do whatever it is it takes to get to your destination, to achieve your why.
For me, my why comes back to the fact I want to deliver as much value as possible, so that I can impact as many people as possible (from an entrepreneurship perspective) so that, in the future, I can change the way education and mentorship is delivered to entrepreneurs.
It’s a big vision, but big visions are essential. If we set small visions, we’ll never push ourselves and we’ll never achieve the impact we want.
Sure, my goal is a financial one, but not directly – not in this first phase. At first, I want to raise credibility, authority, and views. In terms of my YouTube channel; promotions, sponsors, advertisers, website traffic… All of that comes later and as a result of establishing my authority and credibility.
Knowing who your stakeholders are
Lots of business owners will talk about avatars, but I think that’s missing a trick. If you want to start your business on the right foot, you need to be thinking in terms of stakeholders.
There are so many different people that can impact the way your business grows who aren’t your customers.
For me, I have several stakeholders when it comes to starting my YouTube channel:
- My audience: you! The most important stakeholder! I need to ensure you get value from my content, and I need to understand what you need and why you need it. My audience is small business owners who are trying to grow and scale their business without stress or overwhelm
- YouTube: They have a stake in impacting the way my business (on YouTube) works. In the future, they will be helping me generate money. In that sense, they’re almost a client of mine. So, I need to learn what YouTube wants and I need to provide them with it, so that they can help me grow. They want as many people on their platform watching videos for as long as possible, so that they can make money off them. It’s really as simple as that!
- Sponsors: Potential sponsors will want to know that my YouTube channel has a viewership that is highly engaged, that trusts me, and will build credibility with them
Pulling the plan together
All of that, when brought together, looks something like this:
- Deliver videos that provide a lot of value to my audience
- So that I can provide increased watch time and subscribers for YouTube
- So that I can monetise as soon as possible
- So that I can align ourselves with YouTube’s interests
- So that I can build a community that is highly engaged, that trusts me, and will build credibility with my sponsors and my own brand!
Start a business because you know exactly where you’re heading and because you’re being strategic about it.
That’s how every great business grows – by looking at your purpose, your why, the need, who you’re providing that need for, and thinking strategically about what each stakeholder wants or needs and how you deliver that to them.
Then, it’s lights, camera, action to start your journey of business growth!
Let me know if you are going to be following my journey to start a YouTube channel from nothing… and maybe even joining me along the way?
You can learn more about avatars in my post, Don’t Build Your Business Around One Customer Avatar.
SUBSCRIBE to my YouTube channel so you don’t miss out on future videos.